"Change starts with you" the Kgauhelo Baile story


 The future of South Africa is in good hands. Barack Obama once said “Change will not come if we wait for some other person, or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we have been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” South Africa’s young people are proving this to be true.

Born and bred in Kagiso in the West Rand, Kgauhelo “Baile” Thlone is a radio news anchor, debater, entrepreneur, founder of the Face of Azania pageant, co-founder of Independence Before 18 and a finalist for Mr. Teen Kagiso 2021. He was raised by his grandparents which he describes as his pillars, with his mother being in the military.

Growing up, Kgauhelo had a very low self-esteem which lead to him being bullied by other kids at school. The period in his life when he was being bullied, he describes it as one of the hardest, which lead him to even repeat his grade 8. Kgauhelo had to take a step forward in his life to overcome the challenges.

As someone who had very low self-esteem, it came as a shock to many in 2017 when he decided to be part of a debate team at school. “I never saw myself presenting in front of people, but in 2017 I did when I joined a debate team at school,” he said. Debating really helped him to work and improve his self-esteem, although it was never easy. “I remember my first day as a debater, I read my speech and after reading I fainted,” he reflects.


In December 2019, Kgauhelo started a journey into radio at Black Community Radio (BCR) which is an online radio airing in countries including South Africa, Zimbabwe, United Kingdom, and the United States. He says being part of BCR is one of the best highlights of his life. When he joined the station, he was the youngest News anchor there. “I remember how people used to ask for my age when they saw me, and they could not believe when I told them.

He is currently a finalist for Mr. Teen Kagiso 2021. He joined the pageant to give hope to other young boys out there. "There is probably a young boy child, who is Queer or in a situation that I was in and there is no source of hope, why not be that source of hope?" he said. He is all about helping young people realise their potential and in that he started the Face of Azania Pageant. "The aim for the Face of Azania pageant is to educate teenagers to know what they want from a very young age," he explained.

"You are a brand on your own, never doubt that fetch everything that the universe has showed you that you deserve," that is his advice to everyone out there.

The future looks good for this young man and we wish him all the best for his future endeavors. Fly the flag higher. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Young woman gives back to the community